My Adventures in Bengbu China

Teaching English with ILP

Monday, August 5, 2013

Last week of teaching.... Bittersweet

This past week was the last week of teaching. It's weird knowing that I don't teach anymore. Monday and Tuesday we had or normal lessons. We really didn't do much although Sarah and I did go grocery shopping.
Wednesday it was rainy. We taught in the morning and cause of the rain we didn't do much outside. I got an email from one of the members in Shanghai, Sister Griffith. Her husband is the consult general on the US Consulate. She told me that another member of the consulate was going to email because they were going to be in town and wanted to meet us. So I got an email and emailed back and forth to figure or a time to meet. We decided to meet at 8pm on Thursday.

Thursday came and we had our normal morning class with the kindergartners. Then we took naps and stuff till our 4pm class. Dinner happened right after that and we waited till our class at 6, but at 5:20 I got a text from Marine, our Chinese coordinator, asking if it was okay for us not to have class so the kids could rehearse a song for a singing competition. I said that was fine and suddenly we didn't have to teach. It made it easier to get to our appointment with the consulate members since their hotel was across the city. We went to meet them. They treated us to mango smoothies from our favorite smoothie stand, GoMax, and we sat in the lobby of the hotel and talked with Brother Griffith and Russell Menyhart. It was really cool taking with them. 

Friday was normal, but crazy rain. Like a typhoon! It was so crazy!!! We had to test our ele class but it was a short test. It was a lazy day till close to dinner time, when the train had let up. Sarah and I went shopping. I had to but another umbrella since my other one got left on a bus.

Saturday we taught again it was or Thursday schedule except we didn't teach the kindergartners. It was kinda strange teaching on a Saturday. We went and bought our kids presents before we taught them that night.
Sunday was our last day teaching. Pretty much it was a party and we took pictures and videos. At 12:15 the kids, the teachers, and some parents held a performance party for us. We had fruit, the principal spoke, one of the parents spoke, or kids performed songs, and they gave us some gifts and notes. We sang Somewhere over the rainbow accompanied by Erica's ukulele. At the end the kids were.giving us hugs and that's when we all lost it. We were all crying, the teachers and the students. I am going to miss then so much! I love the 16 kids I taught. They are my kids and I feel like I just got to know them. I want to stay with them or take them home with me. It's so hard to leave them. I didn't just teach them, I played with them and tucked them in. Some of them called me their sister. I'm crying just writing this.

I love and miss you. It's bittersweet to leave but it is almost time for me to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment